- Assistant Biologist I/II (Field Biologist) (Two positions)
- Go to our website »
Assistant Biologist I/II (Field Biologist) (Two positions)
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-Time
Job Number: 01625-E
Location: CA, CA
Department: Watersheds Operations and Maintenance
Closing: 5/31/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
NOTE Regarding Salary: A 3% COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) will apply as of 6-26-23
Assistant Biologist: $101,004.80 - $129,313.60 annually
Assistant Biologist: $108,825.60 - $139,235.20 annually
Are you a college graduate with a degree in biology, ecology, botany, zoology, or a related discipline in the life sciences? Do you have professional experience conducting field studies in California? If so, check out these entry-level positions at Valley Water.
With headquarters in San Jose, Valley Water provides water supply, enhances streams and watersheds through creek restoration and habitat protection, provides flood protection for homes, schools, businesses and roadways, and partners with other agencies to provide trails and open space for the community.
Valley Water manages 10 dams and surface water reservoirs, three water treatment plants, an advanced recycled water purification center, a state of-the-art water quality laboratory, nearly 400 acres of groundwater recharge ponds, and more than 275 miles of streams. Valley Water provides wholesale water and groundwater management services to local municipalities and private water retailers who deliver drinking water directly to nearly 2 million people in Santa Clara County that stretches 1,300 square miles and encompasses 15 cities and unincorporated areas.
Valley Water's Field Biologist positions are entry-level positions in the Operations & Maintenance Environmental Support Unit. These individuals will perform field surveys, environmental compliance, and ecological data collection associated with the many projects and programs that are managed or supported by the unit.
The Field Biologists will support routine operations and maintenance activities within the county-wide Stream Maintenance Program (SMP). They will conduct biological field surveys, prepare field reports and biological clearance memorandums, perform ecological data collection and mitigation and monitoring, and assist with permitting. They will also ensure biological consistency with other Valley Water projects and programs and other applicable internal procedures. These positions will work closely with a team of environmental staff.
Recruitment Timeline: If selected to move forward to an interview, candidates must be available for a Zoom panel interview on Thursday, June 22nd.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Field surveys/pre-construction surveys in support of maintenance work.
- Fisheries fieldwork such as seining, trapping, anadromous fish spawning surveys, passage and habitat assessments, electrofishing (backpack and boat).
- Wildlife and botany fieldwork such as nesting bird surveys, amphibian night surveys, vegetation transect inventory and mapping, habitat assessments, special-status species surveys, biological construction monitoring.
- Planning, design and construction biological support for maintenance projects.
- Mitigation project monitoring and implementation.
- Data entry/analysis and equipment maintenance/management.
- Preparation of field reports, compliance reports, and permit compliance packages.
Applicants whose experience and background best match the ideal experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and education are considered ideal candidates for the position. To determine the top candidates, each applicant will be assessed based on the ideal candidate criteria listed below.
- At least one year of experience (two or more years preferred) of fisheries and wildlife or botany fieldwork experience
- Experience working with the local flora and fauna of Santa Clara County
- GIS, database, and technical report writing experience
- Ability to follow directions
- Ability to take initiative and work independently when needed
- Time management skills
- Reliability and diligence
- Technical report writing skills
- Ability to communicate clearly (oral and written)
- Multi-disciplinary teamwork capabilities
- Identification and natural history of local fish, wildlife, and flora including special-status species
- Various fisheries and wildlife monitoring and analysis techniques (electrofishing, modeling, point counts, habitat typing, etc.)
- State and Federal environmental laws, permitting, and CEQA
- GIS, data entry and analysis, database management
- Common desktop applications and software
Equivalent to a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in biology, ecology, botany, zoology, or a related discipline in a life sciences field
Required License or Certificate
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license. Individuals who do not meet the driver's license requirement due to a disability will be considered for a reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
To review the Classification Specification, please click here (Download PDF reader)
Operation and Maintenance Environmental Support Unit (Position Code 1106 & 1107)
COVID-19 vaccination requirement:
*To protect our most valuable assets, our employees, as well as the communities we serve, Valley Water requires all newly hired Valley Water personnel to be fully vaccinated (for COVID -19) or to be formally excused from the requirement through the **reasonable accommodation process (for details, see bottom of job posting)
Valley Water Telework Program: Eligibility for telework will depend on the type of work performed, operational needs, and the ability for the employee to perform the essential functions of their job duties while teleworking. Employment with Valley Water requires employees to live within 150 miles of their primary physical work location located in San Jose, California by their start date.
This position requires the individual to be onsite and is typically not a teleworking position.
(1) The selection process may include one or more of the following: application review, application assessment, performance exercise, written exercise and/or interview.
(2) The Employment Application, Qualifying Information Questions and/or Supplemental Questions will be evaluated based on the ideal candidate criteria listed above. Resumes are highly recommended.
NOTE: Position and start date is subject to availability of funds. Valley Water retains the right to repost this position as deemed necessary.
Consideration may be given to existing applicant pools within the same classification.Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement:
* Fully vaccinated means (1) it has been at least two weeks since a person has completed the entire recommended series of a COVID-19 vaccine, and (2) the person has provided proof of vaccination in a form consistent with the requirements for verification of vaccine status in the State of California's July 26, 2021, Public Health Officer Order.
**Limited Exemptions to Vaccination Requirement
An individual who has been provided a job offer may request a reasonable accommodation to the vaccination requirement if they:
1. Have a contraindication recognized by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or by the vaccine's manufacturer to every approved COVID-19 vaccine. A contraindication means a condition that makes vaccination inadvisable;
2. Have a disability and are requesting an exception as a reasonable accommodation based upon this disability; or,
3. Object to COVID-19 vaccination based on their sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance.
Valley Water's Equal Opportunity Non-Discrimination Policy is available for review upon request.
Valley Water will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities. Please advise Human Resources in advance of any special needs by calling 408-630-2260.
Please be aware that once submitted all application materials become the property of Valley Water and will not be returned. Human Resources staff are not authorized to make copies of application materials for applicants.
To apply, please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/scvwd/jobs/4054528/assistant-biologist-i-ii-field-biologist-two-positions
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency