Assistant Professor - Biochemistry
College of Arts and Sciences
Adelphi University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in biochemistry beginning August 2022. A Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, or a closely-related, chemistry-intensive field is required; additional post-doctoral or industrial experience is also highly preferred. Preference will be given to candidates that specialize in either computational or experimental biochemistry. The successful candidate will be expected to lead our physiological chemistry faculty team and to occasionally teach biochemistry courses or special topics courses. Our new colleague will be joining an ACS-approved program where undergraduate research is embedded into our culture. The successful candidate must therefore also be committed to establishing a high-quality, externally-funded research program involving undergraduate students.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- The teaching load is 18-credits (3/3) with opportunities for research release. Our new colleague will teach undergraduate courses including lectures, recitations, and laboratories.
- The primary teaching assignment will be physiological chemistry, a service course provided for the College of Nursing and Public Health. Beginning in their second year, our new colleague will be expected to become the course coordinator for physiological chemistry, providing leadership to the other full-time and part-time faculty teaching lecture, recitation, and lab sections. Other teaching responsibilities will include occasional biochemistry courses or special topics courses related to their field.
- The successful candidate will be expected to build and sustain an ongoing record of research with undergraduate students from diverse cultural backgrounds that will result in peer-reviewed publications and presentations by students at national meetings.
- The successful candidate will contribute to service duties within the department, college, university, and at professional levels; engage in the mentoring and advising of chemistry and biochemistry majors and minors; attend our weekly chemistry seminar along with the rest of our faculty members and majors; and collaborate with other faculty across the STEM disciplines.
- Candidates should have earned a Ph.D. in chemistry, biochemistry, or a closely-related, chemistry-intensive field. Additional post-doctoral or industrial experience is also highly preferred.
- Applicants must demonstrate a commitment to the University's goal of improving higher education for diverse and underrepresented students. We have a strong interest in ensuring that all candidates hired for faculty appointments share our commitment to educational access, equity, excellence, and diversity.
- Applicants must submit a brief statement on teaching philosophy and a statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion with their materials.
- Applicants must submit a statement of proposed research appropriate for involving undergraduate students. Preference will be given to candidates that specialize in either computational or experimental biochemistry.
- Interested candidates should submit the following materials online at: https://www.adelphi.edu/hr/open-positions/. A letter of application, resume/curriculum vitae, a two-page statement of teaching philosophy, a statement of proposed research appropriate for involving undergraduate students, a statement of commitment to diversity goals (2 page maximum), and a copy of the graduate transcript (official transcript required at time of appointment).
- Please be prepared to provide the names and email addresses of three academic referees when completing the online faculty application. For matters other than the submission of materials, inquiries may be directed to Dr. Brian J. Stockman, Professor & Chair of Chemistry, Chair, Search Committee, at email@example.com.
- Review of applications will begin December 15, 2021 and continue until the position is filled. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. The position is subject to final approval by the Board of Trustees.
- Adelphi University, New York is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, doctoral conferring research university, an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to building a diverse workforce that strongly encourages applications from women, under-represented groups, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. For additional information about Adelphi University and the Department of Chemistry, please visit our website: www.adelphi.edu.
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected research and teaching university dedicated to transforming students' lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four-Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island's oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 8,100 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students more than 50 undergraduate majors and 70 graduate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 115,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 41 states and 58 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE OF ARTS & SCIENCES:
The College of Arts and Sciences at Adelphi University is a community of educators, learners, and citizens firmly committed to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that these principles enrich our entire community, foster healthy discussions, improve decision-making, and enhance the educational environment and outcomes of our students. We support initiatives, activities, discussions, and practices that uphold the equitable treatment of all members of our community and strengthen their sense of belonging at Adelphi. We relentlessly strive to become a model for a socially just and inclusive institution.
To apply, visit https://phf.tbe.taleo.net/phf02/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=ADELPHI&cws=43&rid=2647
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency