Assistant Professor of Microbiology
Nevada State College (NSC) appreciates your interest in employment. To ensure your application process runs smoothly, we ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
- The required documents are listed below on the posting. Your application may not be considered if you do not attach the required documents.
- Draft applications are saved automatically and can be accessed through your candidate home account. Completed applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
- Please note, recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources department at (702) 992-2320 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nevada State College (NSC) invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Microbiology within the Department of Physical and Life Sciences (PALS) beginning Fall 2023. Content specialization in any of the following fields is encouraged: Microbiology, Microbial Ecology and Evolution, Bioinformatics, Immunology, Virology, or Mycology. The selected candidate will join a dynamic and interdisciplinary faculty team, supporting Bachelor of Science degrees in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental and Resource Sciences, and Human Health Sciences. While teaching is the primary focus at Nevada State College, some scholarly activities (within the discipline or in the scholarship of teaching and learning) are also expected, and involvement of undergraduates in research projects is encouraged. Faculty in the department have had undergraduate research supported by funding from NSF, NIH INBRE, USDA, and NASA. Faculty are encouraged to collaborate with colleagues nationally as well as locally within the Nevada System of Higher Education.
Unless stated otherwise, all positions are required Nevada residency and on-site work.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
Nevada State College, a four-year Minority Serving public institution with a statewide mission, is dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning and committed to the advancement of a diverse and largely under-served student population. Designated a Hispanic Serving (HSI) and Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Institution (AANAPI), NSC is a college where teaching and student support are valued above all else.
A majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students, of which 45% are Hispanic, 14% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 9% are Black/African American, 24% are White, and 9% are multiracial.
We celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. In order to strengthen the College and progress its mission, the College dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
We seek applicants who are passionate about working with this promising student population and collaborating with faculty and staff across departments to make a lasting impact in developing our institution and our community.
We encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
- Teach 24 credits per academic year. Microbiology classes involve 3 contact hours with students per week for in-class experiences (lecture), and an additional 3 hours per week for laboratory exercises. Faculty typically teach a combination of lecture and laboratory experiences, depending on their interests and departmental needs. Six credits of course releases are provided for the first year.
- Teach lower- and upper-level courses.
- A portion of the instructional load of this faculty member will be dedicated to teaching BIOL 351 Microbiology, which covers cell structure and function, genetics, microbial evolution, physiological and organismal diversity, and pathogenesis. Microbes such as protozoa, viruses and fungi are included in the class experiences, as well as discussing applications of microbiology to environmental science.
- Faculty should also be comfortable teaching foundational courses such as BIOL 209 Cell Processes and BIOL 190 Introduction to Cell and Molecular Biology, as well as providing upper-level electives in their area of expertise (e.g. microbial ecology, bioremediation, immunology, virology).
- The faculty hired for this position will also teach BIOL 251 General Microbiology, which is a course specific to the Human Health Sciences (HHS) degree. In addition to HHS, this course serves students applying for entrance into Nevada State School of Nursing.
- Create a culture of inclusive learning. Faculty at Nevada State put our students' needs at the forefront of curriculum design and classroom experiences. This includes classroom policies, management, and pedagogical practices that amplify the shared cultural capital of our diverse student body and acknowledge their lived experience. Faculty maintain a learning environment that actively avoids racism, sexism, ableism, and discrimination due to sexual orientation. This is an equally shared responsibility irrespective of the identity of the faculty member.
- Engage in institutional service: Faculty contribute to development of programmatic goals and shared self-governance on campus in a variety of roles. For example, they serve in faculty senate positions, contribute to curriculum design, advise on policy development, and/or participate in program assessment.
- Engage in Scholarship: Scholarly activity within your discipline and/or in the scholarship of teaching and learning is expected of the person in this position. This includes publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
- Ph.D. degree in the Biological Sciences or a related field, with an emphasis on microorganisms.
- Evidence of strong commitment to teaching, mentoring, and working with undergraduates.
- Demonstrated commitment to a diverse, non-traditional, first-generation student population.
- Evidence of scholarly productivity and potential.
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship (NSC does not sponsor employment-related visas).
Please note: Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the position.
- Evidence of instructional effectiveness at the college/university level.
- Commitment to active/experiential learning.
- Experience or interest in developing curriculum at college/university level.
Rank, Salary & Benefits:
9-month, tenure-track Assistant Professor. Budgeted salary for this position is $72,000. Nevada State College offers excellent benefits, including 15.50% retirement match, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and three health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts.
This Posting is Open Until Filled
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Lists of eligible candidates will be established immediately following the deadline, and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made. Review will begin November 1, 2022.
Special Instructions for Internal NSHE Applicants
NSC employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE, UNLV, UNR, NSC, CSN, TMCC, WNC, GBC, or DRI) MUST use the "Find Jobs" process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at NSC and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type "Find Jobs" in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Please note, once you submit your application the only attachment(s) viewable to you will be the attachment(s) to the resume/CV section of the application. Any additional required attachment(s) to the cover letter, references, additional documents sections of the application, will not be viewable to you after you submit your application. All uploaded attachment(s) will be on the application for the committee to review. To request updates to attachments, prior to the committee review of applications, please contact the candidate helpdesk at email@example.com.
Please upload the following documents:
- Detailed CV or resume listing relevant qualifications and experience;
- Letter of interest indicating why you are a good fit for the position and Nevada State College;
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy;
- Names and contact information of three references, at least one of whom can speak to your teaching ability (you will be notified before references are contacted).
The search committee may ask for more materials at later stages in the application process.
Throughout your application materials, we encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
Applications that do not include the required uploaded documents may not be considered.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications in their cover letter. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Nevada State College does not currently sponsor Visas, all applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.
Nevada State College
To apply, visit https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/NSC-external/job/NSC---Henderson/Assistant-Professor-of-Microbiology_R0133281
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency