This ad is expired.
Full Time Faculty - Microbiology
Salary: $77,297.28 - $112,242.09 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: A23-18
Closing: 5/27/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Both Liberal Arts Campus & Pacific Coast Campus, CA
Department: Life Science
Full Time Faculty - Microbiology
LONG BEACH CITY COLLEGE
Long Beach City College is committed to providing equitable student learning and achievement, by delivering high quality educational programs and support services to our diverse communities. Long Beach City College currently has the privilege of serving approximately 34,549 students, the majority of whom are students of color. Long Beach City College is a Hispanic serving institution, and of our student population 50% are Hispanic/Latinx, 19% are White, 12% are African American, 10% are Asian & Filipino. An ideal candidate will demonstrate cultural competency in serving the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender identity, sexual orientation, racial, and cultural backgrounds of community college student populations, including students with differing abilities. As one of the most diverse community college districts in southern California, we offer a wide range of opportunities in transfer, general education, vocational and occupational programs For more information on our College demographics please click here: https://www.lbcc.edu/pod/lbcc-college-facts.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Long Beach Community College District is currently seeking a full-time tenured track Microbiology Professor commencing with the Fall 2023 semester. The primary teaching assignment involves instructing general Microbiology, lecture and laboratory, in the Life Science Department. General Microbiology is an introductory course examining the anatomy, metabolism, characteristics, classification, and control of microorganisms. It also examines diseases caused by microorganisms. This course is designed for students entering nursing, physician assistant, or other healthcare programs. The assignment may also include teaching other life science courses, as necessary. The teaching assignment may be at our beautiful Liberal Arts campus, state of the art Pacific Coast campus or other college teaching locations. Assignment may be day, evening, weekend, on-line and are subject to change as needed. Long Beach City College seeks applicants that are committed to student-focused learning, closing equity gaps, creating diverse learning opportunities, and using data-informed decision making to drive instruction and student success.
Long Beach City College is committed to providing equitable student learning and achievement, academic excellence, and workforce development by delivering high-quality educational programs and support services to our diverse communities. We are Purposeful, Focused, Nurturing, Connected and Respectful.
- Equal Employment Opportunity Plan (Download PDF reader)
- Strategic Plan (Download PDF reader)
- Office of the Superintendent President
At Long Beach City College, we celebrate equity, diversity and ensure a positive and inclusive working environment for all college students, faculty, staff, and administrators. We believe diversity fosters awareness, promotes mutual understanding and respect, and provides suitable role models for our students. We are committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to hiring qualified applicants who are dedicated to student learning and success.
The College seeks candidates who exhibit an understanding and commitment to the community college mission, and who have a passion for commitment to student success. The position encompasses the following professional responsibilities and competencies:
- Assume leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole.
- Commitment to serving the needs of the student, department, college, and community.
- Collaboration across disciplines and utilization of student support resources.
- Participation in department, division, college committees, and participatory governance activities.
- Participation in curriculum and program development.
- Work collegially and collaboratively within the college community.
- Participation in ongoing professional development.
- Ability to create a dynamic learning environment that values instructor/student interaction.
- Ability to effectively engage with and facilitate authentic learning for students of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and experiences.
- Ability to adapt teaching pedagogy to the knowledge of each individual and class.
- Ability to self-reflect and respond to an evidence-based assessment of student learning.
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to integrating new technologies into the learning process, including but not limited to interactive technologies for on campus and on-line courses.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Master's in any biological science OR
- Bachelor's in any biological science AND Master's in biochemistry, biophysics, or marine science OR
- the equivalent
Master's or doctoral degree in any related discipline. The degree shall include 18 upper division or graduate hours in the area of biological sciences ORA Bachelor's degree in Biology or a related field (such as those listed under the minimum qualifications) and at least 18 graduate units beyond the Bachelor's in a related area with at least five years full-time equivalent professional work in the field of Biology or related area.
All candidates must demonstrate
Evidence of a sensitivity, understanding, and ability to manage the classroom environment AND effectively provide instruction to community college students of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Master's Degree or above in microbiology or biotechnology.
- Evidence of previous teaching experience in microbiology, lecture and laboratory, preferably at the community college level.
- Evidence of an ability to work with computers, multimedia, and other technologies that are utilized in providing high-quality instruction.
- Evidence of offering instruction in multiple modalities including online, hybrid, and face-to-face.
- Evidence of the ability to use a variety of culturally relevant teaching strategies that encourage retention, while successfully challenging diverse student populations.
- Evidence of an ability to address the needs of students from developmental through transfer levels.
- Desire and ability to participate actively in department, division, and college committees, and in the shared governance of Long Beach City College.
- Evidence of an ability to take on leadership roles both within the department and in the institution as a whole.
- Commitment to the Mission and Strategic Objectives of the two-year college.
- Knowledge and interest in curriculum development.
Long Beach City College only considers complete applications for employment. All application materials must be electronically submitted and uploaded by the applicant by the application deadline. Applications are initially screened for completeness and State Minimum Qualifications. Complete applications are forwarded to the Department hiring committee for further review.
A complete application includes:
- A Long Beach Community College District Online Application.
- A cover letter outlining your education and experience relevant to this position.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae.
- A list of three references, including current addresses and telephone numbers of both colleagues and supervisors.
- ALL graduate and undergraduate transcripts, showing school name, all college coursework, degree title and conferral date. This includes transcripts for any and all for the following degrees, BA/BS, MA/MS and above (Ed.D, Ph,D, etc.) and courses used for transfer credit. Transcripts can be official or unofficial and must be submitted as an attachment. The conferral date must be on or before the application deadline in order to meet Minimum Qualifications.
- Transcripts from countries other than the United States must be evaluated by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credentials Evaluation Service (NACES).
- Applicants who do not meet the Statewide Minimum Qualifications for this discipline verbatim are required to submit a Supplemental Equivalency Application (Download PDF reader).
SELECTION PROCESS AND TENATIVE SCHEDULE
- Application deadline: 05/27/2023
- Application screening: Week of 5/29/2023
- Applications are initially screened for completeness and Minimum Qualifications.
- Complete applications are forwarded to the Department hiring committee for further review.
- First level interview: Week of 06/14/2023
- Final interviews tentatively planned for: Week of 6/26/2023 Please note that final interviews are expected to happen in person. The district does not cover travel expenses, lodging, and/or any other costs associated with scheduling the final interview.
All Long Beach Community College employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by Jan 3, 2022 in compliance with District Policy. Please note that if selected for employment, you must provide proof of fully vaccinated status by date of hire. Documented proof of vaccination is required as part of the onboarding process. Individuals requesting accommodation must do so in a timely manner for consideration. For further information on LBCC District COVID-19 policy and guides, please view our Return to Campus page.
DISABILITY ACCOMMODATIONSIndividuals who require reasonable accommodations in the Application or Examination Process in accordance with ADA should notify the Human Resources Office at least two days prior to the closing date, by calling (562) 938-4372.
THE LONG BEACH COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Long Beach Community College District is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and equity-minded hiring practices. It is the District's policy to ensure that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunities and are not subject to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of ethnic group identification, language, accent, citizenship status, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age (40 and over), sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), religion, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, marital status, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability or medical
Ancestral Land Acknowledgement
Long Beach City College acknowledges our presence on the traditional ancestral land of the Gabrielino/Tongva peoples. This land remains unceded territory. We acknowledge the painful history of genocide and forced removal from this territory. Long Beach City College honors and respects the Gabrielino/Tongva ancestors and their connection to this land
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/lbcc/jobs/4005313/full-time-faculty-microbiology
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency