Plant Biologist, Associate/Assistant Professor/Instructor (AA22065)
Division: Academic Affairs
Department: Science, Engineering & Tech., College of
Unit: Biological Sciences209, IFO
Employment Condition: Fixed Term
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority consideration given to applications received prior to April 6, 2021.
POSITION: Nine Month Fixed Term Appointment*
Salary Maximum: Depends on Qualifications
Bargaining Unit/Plan: 209, IFO
The successful candidate will be responsible for teaching undergraduate and graduate courses (lecture and labs) in the following areas: General Biology II (BIOL 106, large enrollment course), and two upper-division courses from the following: Flora of Minnesota (Plant Taxonomy/Plant Systematics BIOL 442/542), Plant Ecology (BIOL 443/543), or one course in an area of expertise related to Plant Systematics or Plant Ecology.
- A typical faculty workload responsibility may include up to twenty four (24) credits of instruction per academic year.
- The successful candidate may need to teach in other areas as assigned and qualified.
- May be expected to develop and deliver face-to-face, hybrid, and on-line instruction at the Mankato campus, online, and/or at the university's additional locations, as assigned.
- The successful candidate will collaborate with colleagues in curriculum design, instruction and evaluation, conduct research productively and mentor students in research, help create innovative strategies for student recruitment, retention, and completion, and may be expected to develop external grant funding opportunities.
- All faculty members are expected to engage in scholarly or creative activity or research, in continuing preparation and study, in contributing to student growth and development, and in providing service to the university and community (See Article 22 and Appendix G of the IFO Master Agreement)
- Doctorate in a biological science or a related field, conferred on an official transcript and received in Human Resources by January 5, 2022.
- A successful research record focused on plant biology, plant systematics, plant ecology, or related field as evidenced by extramural funding, publication in peer-reviewed journals, and/or postdoctoral experience. (As appropriate for career stage).
- Background or evidence of knowledge in plant biology.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering a diverse working and learning environment.
- Demonstrated effective written, oral communication and/or presentation skills.
- Experience in one or more of the following using contemporary methods: Plant systematics, plant ecology, plant biology.
- Demonstrated ability to teach the courses listed above, along with additional courses depending on the departments needs.
- Evidence of recent scholarly activity, including publications and/or professional presentations.
- Post-doctoral experience.
Work safely at all times, which includes but is not limited to, participating and completing all required safety trainings, as well as performing all job tasks in accordance with Minnesota State University, Mankato policies and procedures utilizing appropriate tools, equipment and personal protective equipment.
The Department of Biological Sciences has 800 undergraduate students pursuing BS degrees in Biology, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Biotechnology, and Environmental Sciences and 35 graduate students seeking MS degrees in Biology and Environmental Sciences. The Department currently has over 20 tenure-track faculty. More information on the Biology Department can be found here: cset.mnsu.edu/biology/
Course details can be found in the Academic Catalog: https://mankato.mnsu.edu/academics/academic-catalog/undergraduate/biology#CourseList
Founded as a Normal School in 1868, Minnesota State University, Mankato is a regional comprehensive university with a tradition of combining big-ideas with real-working thinking to find solutions for pressing problems in the state, region, and global society. Mankato, Minnesota, is a community of nearly 53,000 people, about 85 miles southwest of the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Serving ~18,000 students annually, the University is an applied research institution, with >200 academic programs, from bachelors through doctoral degrees. The University is a diverse and global campus with 18+% students of color and 1,300+ international students from 95 countries, cutting-edge information technology solutions, 3 additional locations, and extensive partnerships. With ~1,700 faculty and staff, the University has an annual budget of $216 million, and generates $781.5 million in economic impact per year. Minnesota State University, Mankato is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities. Noteworthy facts include: specialized accreditation, certification, or recognition, by more than 24 accrediting bodies; designation as a Non-Land Grant College of Agriculture, by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) in 2015; selection among the top 10% of American Association of State Colleges & Universities (AASCU) institutions for the Re-imagining the First Year of College (RFY) position project; and an Intercollegiate Athletics program that has ranked in the top 5 nationally within the Learfeld Sports Directors Cup standings for 7 of the last 10 years.
We seek to attract teaching and research-active, culturally and academically diverse faculty members, with a demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. Minnesota State University, Mankato, is student-centered and focuses on applied research that expands knowledge; improves learning; and serves the region, state, and nation. Additional information on Minnesota State University, Mankato can be found at: www.mnsu.edu
*Please note that this is a fixed-term (non-tenure track) appointment. A fixed-term appointment is an appointment for a limited period of time and is to be used only when the position to be filled is clearly of a temporary nature or when a permanent position needs to be filled for a temporary period. Fixed-term employment terminates at the end of the appointment period and carries no implication for future employment.
To apply for this position, please continue the process via this website: http://www.mnsu.edu/hr/vacancy/
A complete online application will include the following attachments. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the search committee.
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Contact Information for three (3) references
- Unofficial Transcript(s) of your highest completed degree
- A brief (no more than one-page) diversity statement presenting a commitment to or experience working in an equity-minded environment
- A one (1) page statement of your teaching philosophy
- A one (1) page statement of your research/scholarly interests
Dr. Matthew Kaproth, Search Committee Chair
Department of Biological Sciences
TTY: 800-627-3529 or 711
*Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization which can be found at: http://www.mnsu.edu/hr/bargaining.html
NOTICE: In accordance with the Minnesota State Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MN States vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
The Minnesota State University, Mankato Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available for your review. This report is required by federal law and contains policy statements and crime statistics for the University. The policy statements address the schools policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security. Three years worth of statistics are included for certain types of crimes that were reported to have occurred on-campus, or in other University affiliated locations. This report is available online at: http://www.mnsu.edu/safety/ You may also request a paper copy from University Security at 507-389-2111, or by emailing email@example.com
The following link provides a brief overview of benefits available to eligible employees of Minnesota State University.
Select the IFO Summary (Faculty) link from the list for specifics of that plan.
Posting Number: M121M
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date: 08/16/2021
Position End Date (if temporary):
Open Date: 03/16/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions Summary:
To apply, visit https://minnesotastate.peopleadmin.com/postings/1833
Minnesota State University, Mankato has a long-standing commitment to diversity and is actively seeking to nurture and enrich its underrepresented communities. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. In accordance with USCIS regulations, successful applicants must be legally able to accept work in the United States. Requests for reasonable accommodation of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Office of Human Resources, 507-389-2015 (V), 800-627-3529 or 711 (MRS/TTY). This Vacancy Notice is available in alternative format upon request. Minnesota State University, Mankato is an affirmative action/equal opportunity University and is a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency